Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014 ~ A Great Year to be Intentional

It has been months since I have written anything...months.  Way. Too. Long.  I'd be lying if I said that didn't frustrate me. I had grand intentions of writing a couple times a week.  Um...Yeah...

Here we are on January 8, barely over a week into the new year. (Happy Birthday, Dad!  And Elvis...).
I've been spending a lot of time praying, reading, and seeking God for direction personally, and for our family, for this upcoming year.  I've read several things about all the New Year's Resolutions that get made...and broken by the end of January...or March at the latest. Not so much into those. It's almost like they're made to be broken.  I've also read several things about asking God to give you a word for the year.  I like this idea!  It's not some unattainable goal you set for yourself only to be disappointed before Valentine's Day because you failed.  Who needs that??  It's one word that you let sink into your spirit to help keep your focus throughout the year.  A reminder.  Not necessarily of a specific thing to accomplish, but the direction you want to be moving in.  So much more grace in this concept...and personally, I love me some grace!

My word...(drum roll, please) is...Intentional.

I get so busy and so bogged down with kids, laundry, ministry, dishes, just "life" stuff that days go by and I'm wondering what happened. I was going to do this, or have coffee with her, or write, or organize this space, memorize this scripture with the kids.  Not cool!  It's like running in a hamster wheel.  Busy...but getting nowhere. I'm over it.
I believe this year is going to involve some big changes for our family.  Good changes. God has great plans for our lives.  I don't want to miss out on anything he has planned for us.  My goal is to live with more intention.  I want to be more intentional in spending time with my kiddos.  They are growing up way too fast. There will always be laundry...it can wait...not indefinitely...but long enough for me to read a story or play a game. :)  I want to be more intentional in my prayer life and Scripture reading.  I'm working with reading plans to help me stay on track.  I want to be more intentional about memorizing Scripture and teaching it to my children.  We are doing this plan. The Jesus Project. I'm really excited about it!  We are also taking The Joy Dare and counting gifts.  I want to write more.  I want to organize and write down recipes so my girls can learn to cook when I'm not around...or in the other room reading...:)

I know you probably think some of those sound a lot like resolutions...but I want to think of them more as goals to move toward...intentionally.  I will intentionally make choices and put plans in place and hit the snooze button a few less times to move in the direction of these goals. I know there will be times when I get off course and I'll need to give myself some grace, read this post, and refocus on my word and be intentional about moving in the right direction again.

Would you like to take this journey with me?  Ask God to give you a word for the year to help keep you focused in moving towards your goals and dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment